I guess you already know by the title of this post that I did not go the full 31 days in March without alcohol. I would like to blame it on the snow, but in all reality, I think it’s time for me to accept that I’m a little more Chelsea Handler than I am Blake Lively. I don’t consider the month to be a failure though because there were a lot of great things that came out of my little experiment.
PROS OF NOT DRINKING ALCOHOL
1. The quality of my sleep improved. I woke up every day feeling refreshed and annoyingly ready to take on the day. My mornings typically started with a few air kicks and punches and a “WOOOOOOO!!!” Aaron and Koda would like to move this to the list of cons.
2. My skin and eyes were brighter and clearer. The first change I noticed was in my eyes. I usually wake up with tired eyes, but they felt so clear and I had no bags. I also started noticing a difference in my skin after a few days, which I’m sure is because I was more hydrated than normal.
3. I was more productive. I found myself much more focused during the day. I’m a bit of a daydreamer normally, but I found my thoughts to be very organized. I was also waking up earlier and making the most of those productive morning hours.
4. I started making healthier choices. I was feeling so good that I wanted to make positive changes everywhere in my life. I already lead a pretty healthy lifestyle, but I noticed myself being more conscious of what I was eating, drinking more lemon water than normal, and making time for yoga.
5. Wine became more special. After not drinking wine for awhile, that first sip tasted ever so sweet. I was also able to invest in a nicer bottle of wine since I hadn’t been spending any money on wine in the weeks prior.
6. I saved money. The pros are starting to get a little carried away, so I’m just going to leave it at that.
CONS OF NOT DRINKING ALCOHOL
1. I missed wine. I really enjoy the little ritual that Aaron and I have adopted. We both work until about 10pm and then meet on the couch for a nightcap and an episode of whatever show we’re watching at the time. It’s our thing. I also enjoy having some wine while out socializing with friends and family. I feel like I already lead a healthy lifestyle and wine is sort of my treat. I don’t smoke or do drugs (nor have I ever) and I’ve already cut out meat, most other animal products, and caffeine. I enjoy wine and dessert in moderation and I’m happy with that.
2. My freestyle rap star status took a hit. I actually think I might have been better at improvising, but my delivery was all wrong. Wine gives me flow!
3. I was not able to fall asleep after watching an episode of Luther. I should have known better than to watch Luther without the help of alcohol to put me to sleep and delude me into the belief that I’m badass enough to handle any of those creepy villains. But Idris Elba made me keep watching and I’m still a little upset that he led me astray like that.
In conclusion, I’m not giving up my wine habit, but I am cutting back during the week and saving it more for weekends, special occasions, and creepy television nights. There are many benefits and new habits that I enjoyed during my time without alcohol that I intend to keep, but I think I’ll always enjoy a nice glass of wine. Or a bad one. Heck, I just like wine!
Have you given up anything recently? What’s your vice?